Don’t Forget to Introduce Yourself!
While some people opt for a very minimalist blog layout, streamlined with one column of text and images, most of us have a blog that has a sidebar off on one side.
Take advantage of that real estate on your blog!
It doesn’t have to be long and drawn out – matter of fact, it is best if you link to your about page for all of the in depth details about yourself. Make sure it is at the very top, before anything else. You are more important than the links to your social media accounts or your email list. Here are the things you want to be sure to include:
- The lovely photograph of you that you took recently, the one that you’ve added to all of your social media accounts as well.
- Let them know your name, because people connect with people over all else. They want to know who you are!
- Tell your readers why they are here, in one sentence.
- Make sure they know where you are located and how to contact you.
- If you want to include a sentence or two to help them get to know you even better, share your why, your hobbies, the names of your pets, whatever the case may be – this is a great spot for it. Keep it short.
- At the end you can include links to your social media profiles – just the active ones, please!
We will talk more about the About Me page soon. For now, these quick changes will help people connect with you, which is the whole mission of your blog.
I can already hear some of you saying how you’re boring, and your clients don’t want to know you – you just want to show off your work and be done with it. Or that you’re a terrible writer. Those voices? Well, I don’t agree with any of them.
If I walked in to your storefront and you didn’t even smile at me, and then you used a monotone voice to just tell me what you’re selling and who you’ve sold things to in the past, and then you walked without any interaction with me, do you think I’d have any interest in shopping at your store? HELLLLLLLLLL NO. I’d go down the block to find the next store (because on the internet, there is always a next store) and then they would greet me with a smile and a cup of cool ice tea, while asking me how my day was, sharing a personal story about themselves, maybe one about how they made something and what was the passion that fueled the creation? Oh goodness. I am ALL IN.
That is the power of blogging, my friends. Introduce yourself. Share your stories, the passion that drives you, the reason you’re a creative entrepreneur. You have the power to change the world.
This one is going to be a hard one for me too. I love to write, and even then it takes time. That is ok, we are in it together! 30 Days to Awesomize Your Blog – we got this! Be sure to join the email list if you haven’t already, so I can send you love notes to cheer you on in your Inbox!
I'm a professional photographer and a story strategist. My Superpower? Helping you grow your confidence and build a profitable business that supports the life you want to live. It is time to be a Life Boss. You are Enough.